The Harewood Golf Club was originally formed in 1923 by a keen group of golfers who leased land from the Waimakariri River Trust.
Much of the work constructing the original 18-hole course was undertaken by members. Members gave financial guarantees to fund the work but unfortunately the economic crisis of the 1930's severely impacted the Club and its members, and the Club was forced to close.
The land lay idle for some time before the army took over the land for defence training during World War 2. In 1956, one of the Club's founding members Ray Blank called a meeting to ascertain interest in re-establishing the Club. With much enthusiasm and a primarily younger dynamic, Harewood was once again part of the Canterbury golfing landscape.
An additional 100 acres of adjoining land was purchased by the Club and a 2nd course, designed by renowned course architect Commander J D Harris, was opened for play in 1967.  Members and visitors enjoyed 36 holes at Harewood for the best part of half a century before the Plains or New course as it was known was sold due to expansion plans by the neighbouring Christchurch International Airport in 2008.
The sale proceeds enabled the Club to secure its future and embark on a significant re-design of the Old, or Woodlands course as it is now known. Greg Turner of Turner McPherson Golf Design were engaged to make substantial changes to the course, and in 2012 the Woodlands course re-opened with many holes re-routed and with 18 new teeing grounds and 18 new greens.
With a focus on continual improvement in a challenging golfing environment, the future of Harewood Golf Club looks bright.